Asphalt Paving Scam!!!
As construction season begins to heat up the Kendall County Sheriff's Office would like to inform the citizens of Kendall County of an ongoing scam. Groups of paving and driveway improvement contractors known as "Gypsy Pavers" have already been reported operating within Kendall County.
Below is a list of 7 asphalt paving warning signs:
1. Selling door-to-door: Reputable asphalt contractors will sometimes offer their services if they are doing a legitimate job in the immediate area. Always ask for references.
2. Claiming they have leftover asphalt from another job: Professional asphalt contractors will know, with great accuracy, how much paving material is needed to complete a project. Rarely will they have leftover material. Some of the reasons a contractor might have leftover material are due to weather, equipment problems, cancellations and etc.
3. Push you to make a quick decision: Reputable contractors will provide a written estimate that will be valid for weeks or months. If the great deal they are offering you today is not available tomorrow or next week it may be a scam.
4. No contract offered: Insist upon a written contract specifying in detail, the work to be performed and the agreed-upon price.
5. Cash only sales: Most reputable contractors take checks or credit cards and don't require cash-only terms.
6. Deals that seem to be good to be true: If the quoted price seems very low, chances are the quality of the work will also be quite low.
7. Unmarked truck: Often the trucks they travel in are unmarked or they have an out of town address and phone number. A little research will reveal that they have no permanent address and a phone number is often an answering machine.
The best advice is also the oldest: Beware of strangers! Be wary of strangers engaging in conversation as you exit the bank, grocery store, or shopping area. Be cautious of any unsolicited stranger who offers services, such as repairs, medical assistance, or financial errands. Always check references and discuss it with a family member, neighbor, or trusted friend.